Thursday, June 30, 2005

Glastonbobulated

Ahh where do I start.
Arriving on site at 1am tuesday night unawares to the scale of the site,set up tent in backstage and off to sleep for 3hrs.
Upon rising i realised that the rest of the lads had made an awesome camp consisting of a VW camper,awning,tall tent containing solar shower and chemical loo,fire pot,and furniture and if that wasnt enough just next to us a bar was bein constructed for us and it was only tuesday.
So on we went making the dance village shine revelling in the glorious weather until we finished work on Thursday afternoon and it was time to relax and party and take my first wander around the site,my god its huge.
About 4am I was thinkin about goin to bed when the storm hit watching it roll over the hill was amazing one of the best storms Ive seen ever mad lightning (6 bolts at once hitting the ground) and ferocious rain then the boss comes over and tells us one of the tents has collapsed and we have to get our gear out,oh joy working knee deep in water with power cables floating past and walking through the field with a big metal ladder with lightning hitting circus tents next to us,from there it was straight into openin my stage and the madness began.Thank God we were up high on site rather than down the bottom with this lot
Friday consisted of getting my kilt on (and it stayed on all weekend), backstage bar madness wading through a knee deep mud lake to see The Secret Machines and it was soooo worth it followed by all night backstage bar chaos enhanced by bumping into an old friend of mine from NZ who was there making a Glasto Doco for TVNZ.
Saturday was quite calm but I did see the Stereo Mcs who I thought I would never see in my life and they were better than I imagined playin all the old classics.
Sunday was wandering day,down to lost vagueness patting the robotic horse on the way,watching madness unfold around us ,watching The Bays rock it, seeing Seeed play a powerful set, finishing the night in the lounge bar with Giles Petterson playing 'All you need is love' by the Beatles with everyone singin along (there was a tear in my eye),hmm now where to go yes you guessed it backstage bar where the girls had layed on the Sambucas and even I got behind the bar,so adorning a sparkling tiara I started pouring drinks , my 3rd customer seemed rather familiar then i clicked it was Howard Marx so I got him to sign my kilt and sat down and had a chat ,what a funny bloke,upon returning to the bar I met Rufus from 808 State ,one of my old favourites I was sitting around some of some of my heroes,this is what Glastonbury is about forget all the band hoo haa it's the magic of the people and the random goings on that make it for me.
So as the sun came up it was time for some stiff coffee and of to pull it all apart,oh joy,once all that was done it was about 3pm so what else to do but find a party which led to another and another until it was about 6am at dickies bar and it was time to walk back up the hill passing the deserted camp grounds which looked like war zones.




and that was my Glastonbury (well the bits i remember)
My conclusions ;
-Kilts are the best thing to wear at festivals
-Mud washes off
-Randomness rocks
-Comin back to reality sucks
-Hurry up 2007
And favourite sayin;
Arse like grannys tea towel holder
hehe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|

 

Powered by Blogger