Monday, March 07, 2005

Norwegian Madness

So finally on Thursday I got a call for work,it all sounded easy ''can you come down and help with'' Norwegian Independance day''(ooh the glamour)can't be that hard I thought.So in I walk to a room full of rather plain lookin norwegians surrounded by far too many instruments for they're own good,all lookin nordic,happy,and easy goin ,so I started goin about my way sorting things out then all of a sudden soundcheck number one.My god it was a fury of guitars and kick drums,rather a juxtoposition to the happy smiling lads on stage but oh well.So the day trundles on in a wall of noise and strange language being shouted about,and then it happened,it was like satans 'stars in they're eyes'that sort of went like ''Tonight Matthew I'm going to be SATAN SATAN SATAN.
These happy,smiling,blond nice people had turned into satans little helpers with long dyed black hair pierced tattoed and covered in scarification,it just about got to the point where I started looking for the sacrificial goat.
To make things even stranger the aged Norwegian foreign minister and entourage were on the balcony looking like they were sitting round at a tea party.I found this all a bit odd ,I mean if it was German day I would expect Bratwurst and Oom Pa bands ,Or New Zealand Day I'd expect a Haka and some Finn Brothers,so what is it that posseses Norway to represent its national independance day by having Death Metal bands Scream they're lungs out,is it the amount of dark hours in winter??
Now I've been to Norway a few times and I never saw evidence of this,it all seemed to be quite a normal place even to the point of thinking it was straight out of a catalogue.As for music I did see a traditional Norwegian band at a mountain festival and they were as you would probably imagine.
The saving grace to all of this was when I found out I didn't have to stay for the whole gig (phew),all I had to do was get it started make sure all was ok then I could escape.8pm doors are open in come a weird mix of punters as you could probably expect,all awaiting the first act which none of us had seen.
Then it comes ,the absolute pinnacle of humour that has been my day,the first act is one of the band members from 'Aha' yes you remember that 80's pop sensation you either loved or hated,from stadium glory to 1000 people club to play ''singer,songwriter' type dribble.Quite an apt opening for a night of death metal I thought.
Luckily that was it for me I escaped unscathed at this point to the comfort of my own home sanity mainly intact.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|

 

Powered by Blogger